There are many work from home jobs these days. The advent and evolution of internet technologies have made it possible for people to telecommute and make a decent income while working at the comfort of their own home. You can become a social media marketer and earn anywhere between 14k to 90k a year.
What is a Social Media Marketer?
Social media marketing is the collective term for the systems, processes and methods of gaining traffic through social media websites such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. A social media marketer therefore is someone who utilizes marketing techniques that will help a business gain attention in these social media sites.
This profession encompasses various jobs, namely; social media copywriter, social media specialist, online community manager, PR manager, social media strategist and social media marketing manager.
Job Responsibilities of a Social Media Marketer
The job of a social media marketer is more than just posting a tweet or sharing a photo on social sites. Their job responsibilities include:
• Maintaining, monitoring and optimizing social media accounts.
• Marketing and implementing strategies on major sites like Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Twitter, Pinterest, Soundcloud, Google+, etc.
• Creating content and managing content.
• Interacting with the social media community.
• Evaluating results and outcomes, and determining if the strategy succeeded.
• Building a fan base.
• Creating reports and giving analysis.
• Monitoring what’s going on in the social community.
• Organizing contests and creating advertising campaigns.
• Creating video marketing campaigns.
These are just the main responsibilities of a social media professional. Some companies may require more tasks from you.
Skills You Need
Without doubt, the job of a social media professional is exciting and rewarding. You could very well earn more than what other jobs pay. However, in order to be successful in this profession, you have to be the right person. You need to have the necessary skills to be effective in this job.
As a social media marketer, you should have the following skills:
• Listening Skills – to be a good social media marketer, you have to be able to listen and understand what the users want and need.
• Analytical Skills – in your job, you will be reading reports, analyzing numbers and brain storming about what may or may not work. You should have the skills to be able to understand all the data given to you so you can implement sound strategies.
• Public Speaking Skills – although you won’t really talk to fans and followers in person however you will be communicating with them. In addition, you will be working with your boss and being able to express your thoughts and ideas well is important.
• Critical Thinking Skills – the job of a social media marketer is very dynamic thus you must be able to think and act quickly or you could lose some valuable opportunities. You should be quick at improvising and be able to work under pressure.
Where to Find Social Media Marketing Jobs
The good news is, many companies are looking for social media marketers to fill some positions in their marketing department. Simply go to websites like LinkedIn, Indeed and Elance and you’ll find lots of job openings. While most of them prefer those with experience, you can also find those that are willing to employ newbies. Just make sure you have the necessary skills and attributes that they are looking for. You can also apply for an internship just so you could gain some experience.